This cheatsheet provides a step-by-step guide to setting up retargeting for your business through Facebook. We itemise each step verbally and graphically so you can be sure to follow.
Why Should I Retarget?
Cold leads enter your business' sales funnel when they engage with you, your content, your website, your products, etc. As soon as they identify themselves as having an interest in what you do they become semi-qualified as a lead.
Wherever they sit in the buyer's journey at that time, you know that they are potentially a customer, now or at some point in the future.
Your website is a key tool for identifying leads.
If a potential lead enters your website but doesn't engage with you on a transactional basis, they may not be in the correct stage of the buyer's journey to purchase.
They could be looking for information or trying to find a solution to a problem.
Either way, they have shown an interest in your industry, your services, and your business.
Retargeting these potential customers at the earlier stages of the buyer's journey is a powerful strategy, enabling you to influence and transition towards making a purchase.
Or, where a potential customer is in the correct stage to purchase but is deliberating between products, retargeting through social platforms has a high chance of leading to purchase. Reminding these leads of your products, your business, and the solutions you have available.
- Log in to your Facebook account through https://facebook.com
- On the top right of the screen, click the little downward facing triangle. A menu will appear with the option to Manage Adverts. On the top left of the screen, 3 bars will appear which will open to a new menu. Select Pixels.
- Click 'Create a Pixel'. Enter the required information and then finalise by clicking 'Create Pixel'.
- Click 'Install Now' and you will be shown the pixel code to enter in to your website header. Go into the back end of your site and paste this code. Alternatively, if using Wordpress you can download a Facebook Pixel plugin.
- Use Facebook Pixel Tester to test the pixel is installed correctly. Type the following into your browser. https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-pixel/pixel-helper
- Now go back to Facebook and onto your Advert Manager. Create a new advert that targets the audience collected by your Pixel. Make sure you offer some form of value within the Ad that will be highly rated by your audience. Be specific to your target markets problem and provide something of value that can help them.
- Create a campaign that will drive cold traffic to your site using Facebook created audiences that represent your target market. Facebook Video Ads are an effective way to drive cold traffic to site in large numbers. The aim here is to increase the size of your pixel audience.
- Track your Ad conversions using Facebook Insights and Google Analytics. Split test and tweak your Ad copy and any lead magnets to improve conversion rates.